Monday, August 24, 2009

Word Smith Muhammad Ali



John Hind of The Observer has compiled a list of sayings of the one of the greatest talkers, Muhammad Ali, published on Sunday 23 August 2009.

Here are some of my favorite:

Did I say that?

Before fighting George Foreman

I wrestled with an alligator, I done tussled with a whale; handcuffed lightning, thrown thunder in jail; only last week, I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalised a brick; I'm so mean I make medicine sick (1974)

On his Parkinson's disease

It wasn't the boxing, it was the autographs (2003)

On Floyd Patterson

I'll beat him so bad he'll need a shoehorn to put his hat on (1965)

On being told "We don't serve negroes"

I don't eat them, either. Just give me a cup of coffee and a hamburger (1960)

On his golfing abilities

I'm the best. I just haven't played yet (1965)

To Soviet leader Leonid Brezhnev

You ain't as dumb as you look (1978)

On mini-skirts and bikinis

Why do I want my wife to show off her panties when the wind blows? Horses show their behinds, and cows and mules, not humans (1974)

Offering car rides to white associates

Get in the back - it'll be like Driving Miss Daisy (1987)

On his last great goal

I want to be the first black man on the moon (1989)

On converting to Islam

I'm thankful for Elijah Muhummad [the preacher], because if it wasn't for him I'd be with some white woman. It's true, it's true (1975)

On his biggest battle

My toughest fight was with my first wife (1967)

On the two greatest boxers

The fight the world will never see for the title of "The Greatest" would be between Cassius Clay and Muhammad Ali (2004)

On fame

I'm the most recognised and loved man that ever lived (1963)

On his aura

If Ali says a mosquito can pull a plough, don't ask how - hitch him up (1970)

On work

It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up (1965)